Quake road woes persist at Vancouver

By MATTHEW DAVIS | Cody Enterprise

Following a 6-4 win in Eugene, Ore., on Friday, the Yellowstone Quake couldn't close in the third period against the Vancouver Victory, dropping the game 8-7 in overtime Saturday.

On a quick turn-around, the Quake lost to the Victory again on Sunday, falling 5-4. The loss dropped the Quake to 7-9 on the season and 2-6 on the road. \"Click

"Ultimately we were up in the third period, but we couldn't hold on," coach Joe Cardarelli said about Saturday night's overtime loss. "We gave up a goal with three minutes left (in the third) and couldn't close it out."

Saturday was the first time the Quake had faced Vancouver, (9-5), and it was a battle. They started the scoring six minutes into the first period, when Zach Tuchklaper netted a shorthanded goal.

The Victory jumped back with two goals of their own in the first, before Darek Scott tied it 2-2, with a power play score.

The game, which was being played in front of a packed house, was a physical contest. There were 26 penalties called throughout.

On the night, the Quake were 3-9 on the power-play, and the Victory 3-7.

Vancouver started the second with two goals, before the Quake fought back. Defenseman Nathan Morris scored halfway through the period and forward Alex Johansons netted a goal as well.

Travis Momon, a recent Quake addition from the Butte Roughriders after the team withdrew from the league last week, also added a goal to put the Quake up 5-4.

"It was a back and forth game," Cardarelli said. "Overall we had more scoring chances on the night, but the Victory came up with the most quality scoring chances."

The Victory tied the game with less than two minutes in the second and opened the final period with a goal. The Quake came right back though, on Scott's second goal of the night.

Forward Drew Parus added a power play goal as well, but the Quake couldn't close out the game.

At the 18:28 mark the Victory tied the game, forcing overtime. In the extra period, the Quake gave up the winning goal just two minutes in.

"We were a bit fatigued in overtime," Cardarelli said. "And they had some great scoring chances in overtime, which was the difference."

Sunday afternoon, the Quake again faced the Victory for the second of a three-game series.

Both teams were moving slowly after the extended game the night before.

The Quake jumped to an early 2-0 lead in the first with goals coming at the 1:46 and 2:19 marks, but Vancouver came back with two scores in the first and a goal to start the second.

The Quake tied it up halfway through the second with a Darek Scott goal.

In the contest, the Quake fared well on the power-play and didn't allow a score on the Victory's two chances, but both teams were running out of gas.

The Victory jumped ahead with two more goals in the second. Yellowstone came within one at the end of the period, but that was the closest they would get.

There were no third period goals in the game.

"The Sunday afternoon match-up threw a monkey wrench in our usual pre-game preparation," Cardarelli said. "We're tired physically and mentally. We know we can compete, but at this point it's about coming back and focusing on the little things."

Monday night the Quake will face the Victory for the third game of the series, before facing off against the West Sound Warriors on Tuesday.

Before heading back to Cody, they will stop in Whitefish, Mont., to face the Glacier Nationals for a two-game, weekend series Nov. 18-19.

Overall the Quake will play seven games in nine days and don't play again in Cody until after the holidays in a rescheduled Jan. 6-7 series against the Nationals.