Quake blow by Vancouver in final game of series

By MATTHEW DAVIS | Cody Enterprise

The Yellowstone Quake shook the ice Monday night in Vancouver, Wash.

After losing two games by a point to the Vancouver Victory (9-7), one of which came in overtime, the Quake snapped the losing skid and rumbled to a 9-0 win. \"Click

Early in the first period, the Quake (8-10) jumped up to a 2-0 lead on goals by Andreas Olofsson and TJay Lozier. Olofsson scored on a power play, which was one of six power play goals of the evening.

"It was the most put-together 60 minutes we've played all season," coach Joe Cardarelli said. "We played hard every single shift, and our guys played unselfish hockey. It was great to see."

The 2-0 score hung on the scoreboard throughout the first period, but in the second the Quake blew the lid off the game.

In the first three minutes of the second, the Quake scored four times on the power play. They were 6-11 on power plays Monday.

Drew Parus, Darek Scott, Josh Little and Zach Tuchklaper scored a goal each in the tirade that put the game out of reach.

"Our passing Monday was phenomenal, giving our guys more chances to make plays," Cardarelli said. "And we shot lights out. It was a great way to finish the series."

Olofsson added another power play goal at the end of the second, and Parus and Scott both tacked on their second goals in the third.

Overall, the Quake took 22 more shots on goal than the Victory, with goaltender Dom DeGuiseppi stopping all 27 shots that came his way.

The Quake followed the decisive win with a 7-4 loss though on their fifth game in five days against the West Sound Warriors (7-7).

"We were mentally fatigued on Tuesday," Cardarelli said. "We were out of whack, just mentally a step slower than we should have been."

The loss would even the Quake's record with the Warriors to 2-2.

At the end of the first period the game was tied 1-1. Yellowstone forward Matt Schulz, one of the top scorers in the league, netted the first goal for the Quake at the 8:09 mark.

In the second, the Warriors added two goals of their own to take a 3-1 lead. It was in the third that West Sound ran away with the game.

Tuchklaper opened the third with a Quake goal, but the Warriors jumped back with three of their own to take a 6-2 lead. The Quake mounted a comeback late in the final period.

"I truly felt that we were still in the game," Cardarelli said. "Our guys have shown that physically they can play five games in five days."

Tom Toohey netted his first goal of the series at 15:07, and just a minute later Olofsson added another score to narrow the Warriors lead to 6-4.

But that was as close as it would get, the Warriors iced the game with a goal at the 17:04 minute mark.

The Quake will continue their road trip to face the Glacier Nationals (2-14) in Whitefish, Mont., before making the trip back to Cody.

"We really need two wins this weekend," Cardarelli said. "We need to play with a desperation to get us over the hump in the standings."

Overall, the Quake are fourth in the Northern Pacific Hockey League, with the Victory in third and the Warriors in fifth place. Glacier is in last place in the league.

After the road trip, the Quake will have a two-week break for the holidays, before returning to Riley Arena for a Dec. 2-4 series with the Victory.